Our environment is unique in its ability to sustain life forms. Human evolution and the development of technology has empowered every aspect of our lives. The onus is on us to use this technology to help the environment from further degeneration.
As a result of indiscriminate use of natural resources and development of artificial substances like plastic, we have already filled the land and air with numerous pollutants. The climate change that the planet is facing is a serious challenge to its ability to sustain life. Technological innovation that has enhanced communication and connectivity to even the most remote corners of the world needs to be tapped as a panacea. The solutions are at hand, waiting to prove potential, and faster we address modification of human behavior, better the chances for an improved quality of life.
Modern technology has already proved its unique features:
- Instant access to information.
- Communication at a click.
- Bulk processing without human intervention.
- Globalization of resources due to collaborative effort.
- Common rostrum for debate, deliberation, and problem-solving.
Each feature facilitates a number of related proponents. Application to optimize this power at hand is up to us. What we drastically need to change is our consumption habits; the way and extent to which we use and abuse easily available resources.
Technology can be used to monitor and facilitate:
- Energy efficiency, from the kitchen to the desktop.
- ‘Green’ living; adopting a lifestyle that accommodates solar, wind, and renewable sources of energy.
- Vehicles that run on ‘green’ fuel, hybrid cars, and popular designs.
- Afforestation; to prevent carbon intensive paper production and encroaching upon ‘green’ space.
- Environmentally-friendly, solid chemical disposal systems.
- Climate controlled buildings with construction designs to harness the forces of the elements.
- Energy-intensive home and work environment.
The above mentioned, possible changes are critical to our survival. Technology and dedicated research can help us to manage and monitor energy consumption. This in turn will reduce the risks associated with a depleted ozone layer; health hazards that plague our lifestyles and even carbon footprint. Modern technology has the power to take the form of small gadgetry to contain the flow of water, electricity, and fuel. This helps to enforce the realization even upon those who refuse to foresee the drastic outcome.
Today, a number of technologically driven applications are being sorted to promote energy savings. The ‘automated’ feature allows us to locate important data, and use it for global profitability. We can put it to use in areas of manufacturing and processing. This will enable us to check on energy efficiency and control demand. Even as we meet costs of technology, we can make it worthwhile by using the resource to raise energy efficiency and the quality of interaction between man and the atmosphere.
Equipment to monitor light, carbon dioxide, and humidity levels can be solar powered to tap vital environmental changes and specific measurements. Network-sensors and live webcams can be used to record important data and make near-accurate assumptions for the future. Radar remote sensing is capable of amazing feats. It could be used to monitor and help human resources to intervene forest degradation and carbon emission.
We can use the technology at hand to harness wind power and that of water. We can utilize tidal energy to empower the energy requirement, without further disturbing the delicate balance of nature. Turbine-generated energy, geothermal heating, cloud seeding, and iron fertilization need to be implemented on a larger scale.