If you stay in an area, where there are strong winds all the time, then why not think of generating electricity at home? That may not only solve your dependence on the utility company, but you can save a lot of money. Besides solar energy, wind energy can also be exploited to produce electricity, which can light up your homes.
Usually, large wind turbines are installed in wind farms for generating electricity, but they may not be feasible for homes; and that's the reason manufacturers have come up with turbines, which can generate electricity from wind power for homes. Depending on the size of the wind turbine, the amount of electricity produced varies.
- Just like solar machines which convert DC into AC, a wind turbine also has the capacity to convert DC into AC.
- The only difference between the two is that in the former sunlight is used instead of wind energy.
- Usually, it's on top of a tall tower that the wind turbine is installed.
- When the wind blows, the wind turbine moves, thereby kinetic energy is converted into electric energy.
- Even though wind can be a great source of energy, the speed of wind blowing in your locality should be at least 5m/s so that the power generated is cost-effective.
- Moreover, the turbine should be installed in such a place, which is away from obstacles like homes and trees; as they work best in locations, which are exposed.
- If the wind is below 5m/s, it will not serve any purpose. Therefore, you need to measure the speed of wind before installing a turbine.
- Usually, wind turbines are connected to the utility grid. So, whenever the electricity generated is less than required, you are supplied with the required amount from the utility company.
- On the other hand, if the speed of wind is high, which increases the amount of electricity produced; the dependence on the utility company is automatically reduced.
- And when there's excess generation, surplus electricity is sold to the grid.
- Just as utilities generated from a solar panel can either be stored or sold to the grid, wind energy can also be sold or stored.
- This is an automated process, but if you don't want such a process; you can opt to use batteries to store power, which can be used on a later date.
- The power produced by wind turbines reduces your dependence on electricity from an outside source, besides considerably decreasing your electricity bill.
- If the speed of wind tends to fluctuate in the place you live, it's better to connect the turbines to the electricity grid, as you never know when light may not be generated.
- Usually, they cost in the range of US $9,000 to $65,000.
- Most systems cost about US $35,000.
- However, this is only the turbine cost, and it does not include the costs associated with installing the system.
- There may be some other components like batteries and inverters, which you may like to install, and as such you will need to take these into consideration.
- Moreover, there are costs associated with labor and installation charges to be taken into consideration as well.
- Once you have installed the system, you don't need to spend anything for operating it, thereby making this arrangement a viable option in the long run.
However, you must remember that the amount of electricity produced may not be enough to light up your home throughout the day and every day all round the year. You need to have a plan ready so that your house is lighted every day.