Did You Know?
According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA), natural gas and electricity are the most consumed energy sources in U.S. homes, both covering 86%, followed by heating oil and propane. 42% of energy in U.S. homes is spent on space heating, and the rest 58% is consumed by electronic gadgets, cooking, lighting, and refrigeration.
Conserve Energy in the Kitchen
Use microwave ovens
Microwave ovens use 50% less energy than conventional electric/gas stove. Besides being energy efficient, cooking or heating in microwaves can save up to 45% of cooking time. While cooking, don't preheat or open the oven door to peek inside the oven more than necessary, as it expels out all the heat, thereby increasing the cooking time.
Place the refrigerator away from direct sunlight
Placing your refrigerator in direct sunlight will make it and the foodstuff inside hot, thereby requiring more energy to cool the foodstuffs inside. Also, ensure that you close the door as soon as you finish adding stuff or removing them from your fridge. This helps maintain the temperature inside.
Set the refrigerator at a proper temperature
Set the refrigerator temperature at about 38 degrees Fahrenheit for fresh food compartment, and your freezer at 0 to 5 degrees Fahrenheit. Defrost your freezer often so that there is no frost buildup inside it. Frost increases the energy consumption for maintaining the temperature inside the refrigerator. Also, clean your fridge regularly. Clean the coils behind the refrigerator with vacuums or dusters. This will help conserve energy.
Check for features in dishwashers
While buying a dishwasher, look for energy saving features like a short wash cycle, which saves water and the energy used to pump and heat it. While washing dishes, scrape off the food from the dishes and put them into the dishwasher instead of pre-washing them using the pre-rinse cycle. If your dishwasher has a filter screen, ensure that you are cleaning it often because a clean appliance operates more efficiently.
Conserve Energy in the Rest of the House
Use washing machines efficiently
About 80% of energy is consumed to complete a washing cycle even when the machine is half-loaded. So, use the machine only when it is fully loaded. Wash clothes in cold or warm water instead of hot water, unless the clothes are very dirty. This can save you both energy and money. Choose the highest spin speed when washing clothes. It helps reducing the energy needed to drying clothes. Buy a front-loading washing machine as they save much water and energy compared to the top-loading one.
Set your thermostat
Always lower the thermostat setting while going to bed and before leaving the house. It will bring down your energy bills without you compromising on your comfort. During winter, set your thermostat to around 68 degrees or less and in summers, set it at around 78 degrees to save on heating costs.
Insulate your home
Insulating the walls, ceilings and floor insulation will keep warmth inside homes during the winter months and heat out during the summer. Suring summers, insulation resists heat flow and prevents hot air from entering your home. During winters, it prevents heat to escape outside from your home.
When you use room heaters, ensure that the dampers are switched off because dampers work against the heater, and hence, more energy is required to heat the room. During summer, use the air conditioner in the fan mode so that the energy consumption reduces.
Use geysers to the extent required
Geysers consume a lot of electricity. They should be used to heat only that amount of water that is required.
Conserve Energy Outside the House
Secondary Ways to Conserve Energy
With human population increasing day by day, there is huge concern about the availability of natural resources and whether there are enough to cater to the demand. To ease this, the concept of recycling can be adopted, which is a process of reusing the items from which utility can be derived. Many items like paper, cardboard, and plastic can be recycled in order to reduce demand for resources.
Besides saving energy in all these ways, we should also look for alternative sources of energy, like solar power, if not all energy needs, but a few can definitely be supported by solar power, and if every home follows and implements these suggestions, we would definitely doing our bit to make our planet a better place to live in.