It is hard to imagine life without water. At the rate water is getting wasted, a day will come when there will be a dearth of water. So it is always advisable to make hay while the sun shines and save water. There are many ways with which we can conserve water for further use.
In recent times rainwater harvesting has come into existence, which is one of the ways of saving water. There are many means through which one can conserve this valuable resource. You can build or purchase storage tanks, dig furrows or trenches to store water.
How to Collect and Store Rainwater
Rainwater is an essential resource which should not be allowed to go waste. So, in order to prevent this wastage, it is wise to collect it and save it. You can catch and store rainwater in huge homemade rain barrels. Here are some ways to catch rainwater and store in a proper place for further use.
● You can collect rainwater from the downspout of the roofs. So placement of the barrel can be determined according to the spout. The barrel placed directly below the downspout will collect all the water that flows from the roof. In this way you can catch the rainwater and retain it for various purposes.
● If you live in a apartment complex, then you can build storm drains which are also excellent means to store rainwater. It is a network of drains, made out of concrete, which are interconnected with each other. These drains then empty their contents into a large tank that is built underground.
This water can be collected with the help of a pump. This is a quite a simple and cost-effective method to collect and store rainwater. You can also build wood gutters to direct the rainwater from the ceiling to the drain.
● Digging furrows into the ground is also one way to store rainwater. Sump pits can also be dug as a storage medium. A gutter with a PVC pipe can be installed to direct the water from the source to the furrow. Also ensure that the furrow is wide enough and has depth so that more water can be stored.
● Apart from the means of water storage, you must also follow proper maintenance techniques to keep the water clean. You need to install a filter to keep out the dust and debris from entering the tank. In case you use the water for drinking and other domestic purposes, then disinfect it before using.
● Test the storage tank before purchasing it. See to it that the tank matches the standards for storage. Get in touch with the manufacturer or the store personnel regarding the safety standards. The coating and material used for the tank should not contain harmful toxins or any other material that may contaminate the water and make it unsafe for usage.
● If you are planning to get a rainwater harvest system installed, then take care while selecting the materials. The material should not contain lead, or it may release harmful toxins in the stored water. This can in turn contaminate the entire water and make it harmful if you are using it for drinking.
● A routine maintenance is also a necessity to keep away harmful materials from the storage tank. In case of any rust in the pipes, replace it immediately. Clean and repair the berms, channels and dikes on a routine basis to avoid excessive eroding of the material.
There will be no room for regret if you store rainwater in proper containers for further use. Remember water conservation is essential not only for the sustenance of life but also for basic needs.